Monday 17 November 2008

Lost without Mid-World


I have a terribly empty feeling.
Before TDT (The Dark Tower) I had no particular expectations when leaving home/work; sitting at the bus stop / on the tube / passing time waiting for physio appointments; etc etc etc as Yul Brynner might say. Every moment "wasted" was a moment gained, a moment more I could spend in Roland's world.
No more. I have come to the clearing at the end of the path. I know where it ends, and where indeed it begins again. And now when I go home at the end of a long day at work, I have no tale of Roland's ka-tet to look forward to - and it feels really weird
And honestly, what book do you choose to follow that? Andrew has lined up Gerald Durrells A Zoo in My Luggage, and brilliant though it will be, it just isn't the right book to read next. I am tempted to start Tolkeins's Rings series, which I desperately want to begin, but I worry the story will be - how shall I say - less accessible, compared to the most compulsive pen of mister king.

Wish me luck.

No comments: