Wednesday 12 November 2008

Lost in Mid-World


How did it get to be nearly two weeks since I last posted? Overtaken by work again? Partly. More likely I saw mum the weekend before last, and borrowed the last in Stephen King's Dark Tower epic series... so I am afriad my nose has been buried up to the hilt at every waking opportunity!


Its an enormous book, but I take it on the tube every day. I sit up till way past bedtime reading. Half my waking weekend is spent buried in it. Thats what I call a great book, and great writing: when you can happily lose whole tracts of time lost in another world. And it's so very relaxing.


I heard on the radio this morning (yes, R2: I'm a TOG) that no-one knows how to use apostrophes anymore. Check that. Even having read Lynn Truss's Eats Shoots and Leaves, a really good book, I still have only a middling concept. Actually, I think I'm worse. I used to rely on what looked right: now I'm just paranoid and get it wrong even more than I did before. No one who knows me will be surpised about that.


So; I had a tale of redemption to tell about online shopping at Boots .com, except now I am too tired to tell it. Suffice to say the redemption came from a certain Boots employee in the huge Oxford Street branch, not the online version. When will companies learn that online customer interactions have twice as much power to destroy brand perception and engagement!?

No comments: